Wednesday 25 April 2012

T minus seven days

Tonight I had my final pre-departure training, where we went over the logistics of our travel. Matt, the GIVE 'founder' if you would like (really though, not too sure what he does other than be mister Doctor Matt) gave us an over view of a few things like the soccer tournament and our funds. Also, a horrible packing list, which included three pairs of underwear and two pairs of pants. For seven weeks. Nope, not happening (I will share my saga of packing once it happens, it will be a battle)


Joking aside, it was a bit startling, saying goodbye to everyone. Since Graham (my Economic Development team partner from day one) and I are the first to arrive in the village, we actually miss the final pre-departure training, so we got a lot of hugs and well-wishes tonight. Which was crazy. 
"Oh, next time I see you we will be in Kenya" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those were my final words to Graham. Its intense that after a year and a half this is actually happening.


I started working with GIVE in my first year at Sauder. I was introduced to the idea of working in Africa with social enterprise from Jeff Kroeker (one of my top favorite professors to date). Then, one November day in Comm 101, my TA Safeena did a little presentation on the work that she had done for this grass-roots organisation in rural Kenya. After that class Graham and I, who were actually teammates in the course, went up and talked to her about her experience and later sent in an application. That first year, we worked as a pilot 'fundraising' group, which resulted in us selling donuts, baking snickerdoodle cookies and having a silent auction night. When we came back after the summer, it was sort of an unspoken agreement that the two of us would be the next travelers. Though we technically had since September to start planning this years project, the majority of our work has been done over the past month and a half (right throughout exams, no less) as the Bank has undergone a great transformation, even opening up a new location. 


So after spending about four hours a week for the past year learning everything about our little Bank and the village and the villagers, to say I am excited is a gross understatement. In seven days I will be getting on the plane and starting my 30 hour journey there!




2 comments:

  1. You've obviously worked very hard to get here and have created such a wonderful opportunity, Katie! Those kinds of experiences are the most rewarding, so enjoy your time and live the dream! Best of luck from all of us - safe travels and write lots!

    PS: If you're bringing a camera, please take some pictures of the trees and plants. ^____^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am bringing a camera, and will be snapping away!
      Love you, see you when I get back!

      Delete