Wednesday 16 May 2012

Monkey Business


So far our exposure to wildlife in Africa has been pretty limited. We have BB Cow living in the yard, some goats that bleat at us as we bike to the Bank each morning, some irritating chickens and roosters that start cock-a-doodle-dooing at 5 am, and the pack of guard dogs that howl all night. The little birds are kind of cute, little balls of bright blue and yellow bouncing between trees. We also have somewhere between three and seven geckos roaming the house. Pretty lame on the African Exclusive animals.

BUT I DON’T CARE ANYMORE BECAUSE I SAW MY FIRST AFRICAN MONKEYS

They like to live in the Mango trees that line Kaguya. They were running across the roof of one of the buildings towards the mango tree. The children who live on the property were playing with our bikes when they pointed them out to us. I was in such a fit of excitement I quite forgot about pictures. Mama Pamella and Mama Syprose laughed when I told them how excited I was about seeing one. Apparently they are huge pests and eat all the good mangos during mango season. And apparently they frequent Kaguya, I just need to pay attention and spend more time lurking near the mango trees.


Maybe I’ll even tame one and make it my best friend. Who knows, Africa is a crazy place

No comments:

Post a Comment