Tuesday 8 May 2012

Shaggy

The little estate that we are living on, Kaguya, is conveniently located in the heart of Kanyawegi. However, it is irritatingly far from Town, aka Kisumu. Also irritating is the fact that such things as Barclays (which GIVE has an account with) and the supermarket are located in Kisumu. 
Mutatus are to Kenya what the 99 b-line is at rush hour to Vancouver. Packed, sweaty and driven by a maniac. However, unlike Vancouver, Mutatus have hilarious names stamped across the front window, such as 'Mystery Machine', 'The Lord Savior' and 'Challenger'. Today was my second time riding in a Mutatu. Its name was 'Shaggy'. It played reggae, was the size of a Dodge Minivan, and held over fourteen people. Also smelled lovely.
Today I also had my first Town experience. I learned how to find Barclays from the Mutatu stops (essential to survival) nd explored the Kenyan version of Walmart - the Nakumatt. Sadly, I left my phone and camera at home, because I was warned by Maurice that people in Town actively try to steal things from foreigners (though it seemed to me that people were more likely to openly stare at me than get close enough to steal my things) but Town is such an experience that I am sure I will have to relive, probably over the weekend. 
Tomorrow begins the first day of our project to implement the board within the bank. We are holding our first of six focus groups. It will be interesting, and I will definitely record some of the funnier quotes that will undoubtedly be spoken.
Pictures are coming, I promise! I am still trying to figure out how to upload them without causing my rocket stick to go into overdrive and crash the internet. a

No comments:

Post a Comment