Monday 7 May 2012

Peek-a-boo


Graham and I had a lazy day this afternoon, with no commitments to be anywhere. So naturally we spent the entire day lounging around doing absolutely nothing.
That’s a joke; we actually accomplished so many things, without even realising how hard we had worked.
The day started off a bit too early for me, which resulted in sleeping through my alarm and forgetting to unlock the door so Mama Syprose (our cook) couldn’t get inside the house for quite some time. I think she forgives me now, but she got her revenge by leaving us with leftovers for dinner.
The greatest achievement (in my mind) came in the form of a beautifully colour coordinated calendar. It has every task that we need to complete in the next two months, as well as the deadlines and friendly reminders to go shopping and pick up the other incoming travellers. We chipped away at the audit (Maurice “hasn’t yet got” the bank expenses, which he should have been keeping a record and the receipts of…such the Kenyan way) and managed to finish the agenda for our six upcoming focus groups. Yay!
And of course, as the day neared to the end, our favorite three children who live in our compound came over to play. Well, really they stood at the door and made loud noises until we went outside. I taught the little girl the “Kit Kat Bar” clapping game, and she taught me an “avocado” dance (to the tune of Frere Jacques, no less). They pretend they have no idea what we are saying, but they clearly know English when we talk to them! An hour after we had said goodnight and told them it was waaay past their 7pm bedtime, Graham and I were sitting down and eating our dinner. I was facing the window, and had just finished explaining to him how I hate having the curtains drawn because anyone could see us, when I had the terrifying feeling of being watched. I pointed at the window, making the ‘I’m watching you’ motion, when a burst of laughter cried out. I have no idea how long those kids were standing there without us knowing it, because they refused to tell us. Even as I am typing this, two hours after the incident, I keep looking out the window that has no curtains to make sure they aren’t standing there, playing peek-a-boo with me

No comments:

Post a Comment